Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiDas > Is the update worth the money?
Is the update worth the money?

2892 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: 2014-09-18 14:46:18

•   Level 3   
    (99) points
    cmennenger
    2014-08-12 15:48:08
     My MaxiDas unit is about a year out of date. I use the tool almost daily and really like it but maybe not enough to drop the $600 +/- on updates. What improvements have been made if any to the software or coverage? Is the update worth the money?

Tags: DS708

•   Level 2   
    (26) points
    BradSchaffner

2014-08-12 16:54:37

Mine is up to date with the 6.31 main software. All so went with the 32GB card. I work much faster in all respects. Also have the Maxisys 908Pro. Every time they update a car line on one tool the other normally gets an update.

•   Level 7   
    (885) points
    fware

2014-08-13 07:46:24 (Reply to:cmennenger)

I would say, yes.

My used device was also out of date for about 16 month when I bought it and I renewed the update.
    Detecting the card types ( expl. BMW, Benz) automatically is fine and new features are added.

My update price, via autel website, was $395.

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-08-14 21:52:37 (Reply to:cmennenger)

There has been a lot of improvement since your update expired but paying almost 700
    dollars for an update when you can buy a new one for 1000 with shipping included to
    usa makes no sence to me, for an extra 400 dollars or less you can get a brand new
    one, even buying a maxisys mini makes more sence to me and you will be upgrading
    for an extra 800 dollars of the update price my thoughts only good luck.

•   Level 3   
    (99) points
    cmennenger
    2014-08-15 14:24:44 (Reply to:ede65)
     That's what I'm thinking. Just purchase a new unit. I've just started using a laptop based scanner, I like it so far. Thanks for the input.

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-08-15 16:58:45 (Reply to:cmennenger)

you'r welcome. one more thing i wanted to add regarding the update price if they autel will fix all bugs and this tool will actually do everything it claims and  should do  then  yes the price is justified and for sure i will be buying it, also tech support has to be available for me to consider buying this update. i have 5 month left of update on my 905 if  by then they have not fix and added everything needed  they can forget about getting a dime from me and about 132 others i know and a few thousands i will convince , with that said don't go and spend your hard earn money on a promise, lets wait for a reality so hang on to your pc base tool for now and lets see what happens.

•   Level 10   
    (10965) points
    Autel Support

2014-08-18 04:28:05 (Reply to:ede65)

Hi Thank you all for your support on Autel.
    We have different engineers who are responsible for different cars, and they develop new software according to the market requirement and customers' feedback. So if you found any bug in the software, please report to us soon. 

•   Level 3   
    (99) points
    cmennenger
    2014-08-19 06:21:49 (Reply to:ede65)
     Hello ede65,
    Thanks for the response. I think you summed it up pretty accurately. As much as I like the the Autel product line the I think I'll just ride my 708 just the way it is for now and not update the tool. As a a reminder of why I might not update I made short "house call" on the way home from work yesterday. Customer had a 2003 Audi A4 Quattro. I'm not familiar with Audi and it doesn't appear the 708 is either. The freeze frame info on Generic OBD2 P0300 was so out of whack it was embarrassing to have the customer see the tool flub a simple code and freeze frame operation. I use this tool a lot and haven't had too many of these experiences. The Audi "OE" side of the software wasn't much better either. I really don't expect an aftermarket tool to handle Euro cars very well but that was pretty bad for Generic OBD2 data. I was hoping some of these "quirks" and bugs might have been fixed with the updates. I think $2k to $3k for the new Maxisys platforms might be a little high for me to jump. Take care.

•   Level 2   
    (20) points
    JamesReinhofer

2014-08-29 09:28:36 (Reply to:Autel Support)

I believe if  engineering can somehow make the DS708 be updateable for a period of 5 years with later software versions with patches to existing software holes and bug fixes , but cuts off the model year coverage to the model year of subscription, it would go a long way to adding  a lot of value to the scan tool .

•   Level 3   
    (99) points
    cmennenger
    2014-09-18 14:46:18 (Reply to:JamesReinhofer)
     I agree. Autel could offer some level of flexibility on the updates considering the price of the 708 is so low right now. I would like to see a update program based on the number vehicle lines you want to update. Maybe a domestic, Euro and Asian update program. Who knows what Autel will do. I like the unit and use almost daily but with the terrible graphing and the almost $700 update fee I might NOT continue my use of the tool on later MY units. I think Autel took a page out of Hewlett Packard's play book.....give the printer away and rob them on the ink! 
  Total1 Pages